You may have a fun vacation planned for the upcoming holidays or for summer vacation. To help keep your teeth in tip-top shape in Gurnee, Illinois, here are some tips:
• Schedule a checkup and cleaning appointment – whether you are gone for a week or a month, it is a good idea to get a good teeth cleaning and polishing, with Dr. Peter Domagala then examining your teeth and gums to ensure all is well.
• Ensure you have your dentist’s contact information handy, so just in case an emergency situation develops, you can get prompt attention.
• If you are traveling overseas and an emergency occurs, you can contact the local consulate or U.S. embassy. Speaking to a hotel concierge and asking for recommendations is also a good plan.
• If you find yourself without a toothbrush and you are in the African jungle, you can rinse vigorously with water and put some toothpaste on a clean washcloth or finger to swipe across your teeth. Once you find a toothbrush, check to see it if it has the ADA Seal of Acceptance. If there are not any toothbrushes with the seal, find the softest toothbrush available.
• When on vacation, the best way to keep your toothbrushes clean, is to wrap them in resealable plastic bags; more importantly, keep them away from other things, which can result in germs and bacteria.
Pack a pack of gum that is ADA certified or accepted, such as sugarless gum with the ADA Seal. Chewing gum for 20 minutes after a meal can help stave of cavities, since it gets the saliva flowing, helping to wash away cavity-causing bacteria. These tips will come in handy while on your trip, and when you get back get back into your daily routine. For any questions, please contact Institute of Dental Implants and Periodontics.