Several risk factors in your life can lead to several forms of oral health damage. If for any reason you have suffered from dental damage or feel that you are at risk of dental damage, make a checklist of all forms of risk factors for each potential ailment. In the case of gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, gum tissue infections often come with several risk factors. To help prevent it from arising, understand its risk factors involved, as seen below:
– If you are routinely partaking in bad habits that can damage your smile, including the use of smoking or chewing tobacco, you are putting your mouth at risk for gum disease.
– Several conditions that you may not have control over can potentially lead to gum disease risks, including changes in your hormonal levels, a pregnancy, genetics and diabetes.
– Frequent drug use is a known risk factor for gum disease.
– A poor diet that includes unhealthy substances including acids and sweets can increase your risk for several oral health ailments including gum disease.
– If you fail to visit your dentist routinely for professional cleanings every 6 months and for routine checkups, you’ll be putting your mouth at an increased risk for gum disease.
– Dry mouth is a known risk factor for gum disease. Dry mouth can often be caused by several medications that you may be taking
Be sure to make time in your life to visit your periodontists at Institute of Dental Implants and Periodontics to identify risk factors for gum disease and if necessary, to schedule an appointment with Dr. Domagala and Dr. Shango for a thorough exam of your oral health. You can get ahold of our office in Gurnee, Illinois, by calling us at 847-662-3414.